Tuesday, September 27, 2011

School

I am finally getting into a routine with the boys and school. Boy, who new that adding a kindergartner to the mix would add lots more work. Also with my mind consumed with paperwork, at first it seemed to much for me to handle. I backed off the paperwork and gave myself a huge break, and didn't think about it again until today. The only reason I thought about it today was because my doctors appointment is tomorrow and I needed to gather up the right forms. Anyways, I really have been focusing on school and it has been going rather well.


We started a few weeks ago, and each week I regroup and change things a bit. I think we have developed a schedule that works for us. I have to admit that I am enjoying our new curriculum so much. We have decided to use Sonlight for the most part. I knew it was literature based, and love that we are reading all day long. And when I say all day I really mean all day. The table is cluttered with books first thing in the morning, and last thing before bedtime. It seems to be a bit more work for me to get it all ready but it is so worth it. The amount of books is a bit much, as we seem to be reading into the evening hours. I might have to tweak that a bit for a few of the boys. What I am noticing though is less television, less computer, and less wii time, and more time curled up on the front porch, backyard, under the table, in bed with a book. Yes, wonderful classics, and books about history. I wonder if the boys are going to catch on that they are spending less time with video games and more time enthralled with new characters and new adventures from the words on the pages of the books they are reading.

The one thing that I decided to try that I am not liking so much is The Grammar Ace. I thought I was getting a good curriculum to review grammar which we desperately need. However, after I teach a concept, it gives different hands on things to do to review. I really think we need more review with workbooks in this area. If anyone has any ideas for what to try, that would be great.

I also attempted Saxon Phonics for the little boys. I am really tempted to go back to A beka for phonics. I will stick with Saxon for a few more weeks and see what happens. Also wondering if year round school isn't such a bad idea. I really can see how much the boys have regressed since last year. Anyways, it's something to thing about I don't have to decide now.

Other than that we are making our way through all the pieces to the puzzle to be able to go get Nellie. It seems that every time I talk to someone about her, my eyes well up with tears. I can't help but think about the fact that she is half way around the world. I want to just grab her and bring her home. I know it is all in His timing and not mine.

1 comment:

  1. My mom used Sonlight with us for several years and I really loved it. All that reading is such a wonderful gift to your boys.

    ReplyDelete